Friday, October 21, 2005

 

Glenn Responds

My dear Glenn, it's on now:

PPB: I assume you (mistakenly) believe that ham soaked in vinegar qualifies as "real" barbecue?
Heathen Glenn: Vinegar? You confuse me with those North Carolina apostates.

We hear all sorts of rumors about what infidels like yourself do with meat. Vinegar has got to be one of the most egregious offense I have heard of, but I don't see how you can really enjoy BBQ without a really spicy, fatty, delicious sauce from Texas. For the record, here are a few of my favorites.

Salt Lick
Stubb's
Rudy's

That last one is a gas station. Yeah, that's right. You can get better BBQ at a gas station in Texas than you can in all of western Tennessee.

UPDATE: Thanks to my commenters who added to the list of the Truly Great Texas BBQ joints that I omitted in my rush to finish the post and get to work. Wes, I also love County Line, and my wife was incensed that I left it out. Kreutz's is brilliant, I don't make it up to Lockhart nearly as often as I should. I have never had Cooper's, so it seems like a road trip this weekend is in order- thanks for the tip, Matt.

And I love this quote from John Kluge, a fellow pulled pork buster:

Just because you hillbillies in Tennessee don’t have the money to raise cattle the way we do here in Texas, doesn’t mean you know how to barbeque. I grew up in Kansas City and have my share of time in Memphis and Chicago and used to be an apostate about barbeque until I moved to central Texas and saw the light. There is no piece of meat of any kind made in the world that can exceed a piece of brisket from the Kretz Market in Lockhart, Texas. They were making barbeque there when people in Tennessee were still living in trees and eating pig guts.

Preach on, brother John.

Comments:
As to vinegar, you are correct. We moved to North Carolina 10 years ago and were excited. My brother visited in the first week of the move and we went off to eat some North Carolina barbecue. We discovered *vinegar* in our meat. Why vinegar? Why not gasoline?

Andy
http://www.CharlotteCapitalist.com
 
Please don't forget about County Line! County Line should be included in any list of great Texas BBQ in Austin.
 
Excellent use of a blog. Finally, something important to debate! I say pork is typically better meat, but brisket is delicious when done right AND harder to do right than shoulder.
 
Sorry folks, calling that beef stuff from Texas barbeque is like the French saying that Perrier is spring water. That even Glenn thinks that putting Heinz on pork will suffice makes it clear that most people can't look directly into the light. Of course, real BBQ comes from Cooper's Country Store in Salters, SC. They were kind enough to share the recipe with our brothers and sisters to the North and South. To the West they are stuck with Heinz and there is no need to go further East. Now you know why Muslims face to the East when praying to God - Allah is at Cooper's for lunch.

http://www.southcarolina.net/coo2.htm

Money, meet mouth: http://www.carolinaqcup.com/

Come on people, get serious! http://www.scbarbeque.com/judge.html
 
Every sensible American knows that the only real BBQ is in Texas.
 
I was born in New York, but that's not my fault. As they say, I "wuz growed up" in Texas. I've traveled to the South, lived in Minnesnowta and Ohio, but at heart I am and will always be a Texan.

There is Real Texas BBQ, and there is sauced meat.

btw - next time you're in Bryan/College Station, stop by Three-C on Highway 6.

If you're stuck in Minnesota, you can get a fix at Famous Dave's. They do good work.

And if you know of anyplace in Northeast Ohio that carries Stubb's please let me know. Ladies and Gentlemen, he IS a cook.
 
It's not like all Texas bbq is beef only. East Texas has its own style, and the absolute best pork ribs I've ever had are from the Country Tavern, near Kilgore, TX. It's practically in the middle of the forest, but it is worth whatever detour you need to take. The first time my ex-girlfriend took me there, she offered to get me a hotel room for me and the ribs, seeing as my eyes were rolling back in my head and I was making low moaning noises. I don't miss her, but damn I miss those ribs.
 
The vinegar stuff is NOT bbq. Pork is better than beef and ribs should be DRY. Sweet tea is best but a beer is allowed for those that are so inclined.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?