Friday, October 21, 2005

 

How they do it outside of Texas

Came across this article on an 'upscale barbecue' joint outside Atlanta in Southern Voice. Un-frickin-believable. Atlanta's not a bad place, but it would be alot better if it stopped trying to be New York. On the other hand, it is the home of the Sweetwater Brewing Company, which makes some great non-BBQ oriented beer. If you come across some in your neck of the woods, I highly recommend picking some up.

This actually feeds into another reason why Central Texas BBQ is the best in the world- Shiner Bock. I don't know what other kind of beer you can drink with your brisket. I hate to go down to Salt Lick and see some yankees who brought Sam Adams or something. That's like eating foie gras with a warm glass of horse piss.

Perhaps some of the pro-pork commenters can enlighten me- what sort of beer do you drink to disguise the taste of your so-called barbecue?

Comments:
Danny, I feel for you. I went to school in NC (the eastern, weird part) and then moved to Austin. For me, there's just no comparison.

I understand BBQ withdrawl all too well. Fortunately, there is a cure. The Salt Lick can FedEx you all the brisket, sausage, and beef ribs you desire. Check out their online BBQ shop:

http://www.saltlickbbq.net/slbb.htm

Now I'll be the first to admit, it's not the same as the real thing. But you need a ray of sunshine to brighten your day, and it will get the job done like no other.
 
Viper- great story. Another Salt Lick loving hottie is Sandra Bullock, who discussed the greatness of Central Texas BBQ on the Daily Show with John Stewart.
 
If you're more of a Kansas person (and no one here seems to be), these people ship as well

http://jackstackbbq.com/default.asp?sid=GOOGLE&eid=GL0014

I've had the stuff Salt Lick ships. Comes out pretty good, I have to say--even if pulling your brisket out of an oven seems like a sin.

Danny,
That series in Slate was excellent.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?